Monday, August 8, 2011

Really, This is Kind of Serious. (Chapter 2/ Pages 13-24)

"I thought sooner or later someone would start saying it had gone too far, but it just kept on, and no one said anything."

~ Never Let Me Go, page 15

Let me say right now that, as selfish as it sounds, the first issue I would solve if possible would not be hunger, abortion, or eating disorders - it would be bullying. This is a very upsetting problem to me in our society for a couple of reasons, but I will spare you the details of my personal life. I would really love to express my frustration toward these little animals that go to that school. It isn't just one person or even a small group that is constantly taunting Tommy - it's the whole school. And over something as absolutely ridiculous as lack of creativity?? The things they do to him are indisputably cruel and heartless. And what's worse is that they honestly think he deserves it, that he deserves to be incessantly ridiculed and derided because he has a temper. This only reveals hypocrisy in the students because other pupils have anger problems too - they can simply go about their day without wondering whether someone will reject them or verbally abuse them at any moment. This angers me to no end, so when I see Ruth comment on how he could control other people's actions if he only had an attitude adjustment, I immediately categorized her as having bad character. You hear that, Ruth? You are now on my list. My bad list.

No comments:

Post a Comment