Thursday, August 11, 2011

They're Coo Coo for Coco Puffs... (Chapter 19/ Pages 218-236)

"As soon as I said this - as soon as I mentioned Madame - I realised I'd made a mistake. Ruth looked up at me and I saw something like triumph flash across her face. You see it in films sometimes, when one person's pointing a gun at another person, and the one with the gun's making the other one do all kinds of things. Then suddenly there's a mistake, a tussle, and the gun's with the second person. And the second person looks at the first person with a gleam, a kind of can't-believe-my-luck expression that promises all kinds of vengeance."

~ Never Let Me Go, page 231

Okay, I've decided that it's not just Ruth who is crazy. Kathy has some problems in the brain area, too, apparently. Everything that happens between these two seems to be taken so seriously. This whole paragraph above just proves exactly what I'm trying to say - Kathy thinks that their fights are so extreme it's like holding a gun to the other's head? That's a  little extreme! I don't know about you, but my friends and I never fight like this.  We occasionally have little things, and maybe one or two big fights have ever come up, but it's never been such a power struggle like Kathy and Ruth's relationship is. I'm really questioning why they are still friends after all this time of just trying to make each other feel horrible, and even after a long time period spent away from each other! You really think they'd be over it by now. Plus, it turned out to not even be a big deal because Ruth was just trying to reunite Tommy and Kathy. I tell you, these two drive me nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment