Monday, February 27, 2012

Random Connections - Drama Blog 3 (Glass Menagerie)

"Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion."


~The Glass Menagerie, Tennessee Williams

The Glass Menagerie has made me think of some things from my own life - mostly insignificant little connections, but I think that's what makes reading this play bearable. When I saw the phrase "gentleman caller," I immediately remembered the movie Easy A based off of The Scarlet Letter.


When Laura is describing the pieces of glass, I thought of the twenty-seven different places in Brown County that sell glass figurines. (That's not an exact number, I just guesstimated.)

In the movie Water for Elephants, the word "menagerie" is used to describe the pens that the animals were kept in, so I thought of them as just a larger glass collection.



I work at a dance studio, and I have danced for about 8 years, so when Amanda was fretting over Laura's appearance and trying to make her improve it, I got a flashback of competitions and dance recitals - the moms trying to get their girls into uncomfortable costumes and reliving their glory days - it's like the performances were solely for them. Amanda makes me think of hardcore stage moms.

I know this stuff isn't so insightful or analytical, but they're the things I relate back to The Glass Menagerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment