Thursday, February 16, 2012

Do You Like Cheese? - Drama Blog 2 (As You Like It)

"I would cure you, if you would but call me Rosalind and come every day to my cote and woo me."

~ Rosalind, As You Like It


I was re-reading this scene and I immediately thought of the movie She's the Man. The movie is actually based off of another Shakespeare comedy The Twelfth Night, but the scene matches well. Like the play, in the movie, Viola Hastings dresses up like a man (there is a lot of cross-dressing in Shakespeare plays. Why??) because she wants to play for the boys soccer team. While she's there, she meets Duke Orsino and tells him how to talk to women, all the while pretending to be one (although she actually is). It mirrors the scene from As You Like It because Rosalind dresses up like a man when she is around Orlando; she tells him how to deal with his love and woo her, then she (he) pretends to be a woman, just like Viola is to Duke. But seriously, I'm legitimately confused why there is so much cross-dressing.

Sorry that the video is so short, but this was the best one I could find

No comments:

Post a Comment