Tuesday, April 3, 2012

No One Mourns the Wicked - Novel Blog 5 (Frankenstein)

"How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavored to form?"

~ Frankenstein, page 35

While I was reading this passage, I thought a lot about life and relationships and such. Who wouldn't love something they created? Isn't that like a parent not loving their child? That doesn't really make much sense to me. But then I thought of somewhere else I had seen that - the fantastic spin off of The Wizard of Oz, the musical Wicked. Cornelius and Elphaba are kind of the same person. In Wicked, Glinda tells the story of the recently deceased Witch of the West Elphaba, who like Cornelius, was rejected by her father for being ugly (green-skinned). There are other similarities too - both Elphaba and Cornelius are particularly smart and kind, and both are outcasted by society for their appearances. Both befriend (or at least associate with) an ambitious, hard-working peer - Glinda for Elphaba and Victor for Cornelius. (The relationships don't directly parallel each other, but they are pretty close.) Wicked is pretty awesome, so once I realized how close the two stories are, I gained a lot of hope for Frankenstein.

Elphaba's story starts at about 4.30. There's a lot of overture and intro before that.

This is just the whole song "No One Mourns The Wicked"

This is the most famous song from the musical, "Defying Gravity"

No comments:

Post a Comment